Friday, June 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Girl!

Fifteen years ago I was hoping for a dog. Instead I got a sister.

What I didn’t know back then I can’t imagine life without now. Today is Marissa’s 14th birthday and it truly is a celebration of a great life! She has grown up into quite the young lady!

I can’t remember a time when I didn’t want to be around her. I never had the “I’m too cool for my younger sister” feeling probably because she’s always been more of a friend to me than anything else.

I remember losing her when I was 12 or 13 years old. I was put in charge of watching her for a few minutes but soon she had disappeared from my sight and I had no idea where she had gone. After frantically searching for her, I finally found her playing peacefully in the sandbox. The rush of relief I felt when I saw her overtook me! When I think of fear, worry, and panic, I think of the moment I lost my little sister. I could not at that time, nor at any time since that day, imagine my life in the absence of Marissa.

With me in college, we’ve still found a way to keep close. When I’m able to go home for the weekend, we like to stay up and watch movies on the couch downstairs. Rarely does the movie finish without us first falling asleep. Several months ago, she came down and spent a good part of the weekend with me in Provo. We had a good time plays nertz and making gagging gestures at the main character of the Aida play we watched. It was a great weekend!

Her life has never been easy but she’s been a champ through it all. By her actions, she has set a great example for her little nieces and nephews and older siblings to follow. She is beginning to realize more and more the wonderful gifts and talents that she has been blessed with. What has been invisible to her for so long has been crystal clear to all her know her best. She has and will do wonderful things in her life!

Happy birthday to a wonderful aunt, daughter, sister, and friend! I love you!

1 comment:

Princess Di said...

Tadd...
We love your blogs and the things you write about. You are such a great friend to us and to Nate. We sure loved having you come visit us and to see Gracelyn. Come visit us again soon! She is growing and getting big and changing every week! We wanted to get your email so we can send you an invite to view our blog-we are making it private and want to hear from you! Thanks!
Nate & Diana
cragunandcompany.blogspot.com