Sunday, September 28, 2008

Here’s To A Friend

A insincere compliment is about as useful to me as a coupon to a liquor store; I wouldn’t use it and would probably end up passing it on to someone else who doesn’t need it either. I’ve never been very good at thanking and complimenting those around me, but that doesn’t mean I’m not grateful for what they’ve done. It’s mostly because I’m at a loss at how to do it. Anything I could say or do seems completely inadequate compared to what’s been said and done for me.

Recently, I’ve noticed how even the simplest interactions with others can leave a deep and lasting impact on my life. There are things that I have learned that have opened my eyes, helped me see what I could not see, and help me be what I could not be.

The tragedy is that most of these friends leave without the slightest idea of the difference they’ve made. It’s to those friends, past, present, and future, that I wish to pay tribute. Thanks for lending an ear to my mouthful, helping me make sense of my jumbled thoughts, and for being a friend when I have been unfriendly. You may come and go with the passing days, but your impression will last throughout my life.

2 comments:

Alyson said...

You know what, I hate writing responses knowing that other people, besides the blogger, will read them. I feel like I have to be cleaver and witty because they all are (and spell everything right). I just wanted to get that out. Anyway . . . I am finally doing my monthly blog reading. That doesn't mean that I blogged. (FYI) I'm so bad at this blogging business. My theory why: I can't get on my own computer, besides at night, because at least one if not more of my boys is on it. At night I don't always have the luxury of getting on line because of the normal demands (dishes, house work . . . etc.). Boy this comment is very therapeutic. Thanks Tadd

Unknown said...

I would say you are a very grateful person and show gratitude well. You're a great example to all of us.